2022 Innovation Lab to showcase student-led research during SXSW
Texas State University will host the 2022 Innovation Lab, an interactive event showcasing student-run technology projects, on Sunday, March 13 during the SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin.
The Texas State Innovation Lab will be held in the Great Room of the W Austin, 200 Lavaca Street. The Innovation Lab and reception will run from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
The event will feature students using and creating new technology to solve real-world issues. Students will present ideas and innovative technologies developed through research initiatives involving a wide array of disciplines. During the program, corporate partners will also demonstrate their role in mentoring and helping students bring their research to the marketplace.
Groups presenting pitches include:
- Argumentation – developing first accessible versions of diagramming apps for college courses
- Beats and Lyrics to Go – mobile opportunities for music engagement for children, youth and young adults
- Bobcat Aerospace – design and construction of a level 3 sounding rocket capable of delivering a nine-pound payload to 10,000 feet
- Bobcat Racing – competitive challenge to design, fund, manufacture and develop a formula-style race car
- Bobcat Repurpose – machines dedicated to repurpose/recycling post-consumer plastic waste
- CIEDAR Consortium – building nine smart living labs of more than 1 million square feet on 800 acres to house 6,000 researchers
- Digital Twin for Material Handling Operators in an Industry 4.0 Environment – digital twin prototype analyzes operator fatigue and provides feedback in augmented reality environment
- Dual-Use Wideband Microphone Array System – relaying voice communications and alerts to users if ultrasonic anomalies detected
- Eye Movements in Mixed Reality – demonstration of how eye tracking can deliver password free authentication and increase access to healthcare via VR devices
- Incident Reporting App for Fire Services – interactive bot to help firefighters learn, remember and reference incident report writing and coding best practices
- mASkeD App – aid to those with Autism Spectrum Disorder to improve the quality of their social interactions by identifying the emotion of conversation partner
- Measuring the Decay of Muons Through Earth's Atmosphere – high-altitude balloon mission to study properties of the upper atmosphere as a function of altitude, location and climate
- Solarsno Shave Ice – fully solar/battery powered, clean energy food trucks operating in three locations in Austin
- SpExoDISKS – allows interaction by astronomers with acquired spectra of exoplanet disks
- Texas State Community Stories with Augmented Reality – reimagining forgotten histories and stories of the Texas State community through augmented reality
The Texas State Innovation Lab is open to all SXSW Interactive badge holders or special guests of Texas State.