Texas State named among top institutions for social impact for third consecutive year
For the third consecutive year, Texas State University has been named among the top educations for social impact on the Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings.
Texas State was ranked No. 87 worldwide, the first time the university has reached the top 100. Texas State also ranked ninth among universities from the United States and first in Texas.
Among the individual categories, Texas State scored seven top 100 worldwide rankings, including three top 20 placements.
THE University Impact Rankings assess universities worldwide against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), using calibrated indicators to provide comprehensive and balanced comparisons across three broad areas: research, outreach and stewardship. The rankings include more than 1,100 universities from 94 countries.
The global university ranking approach aims to measure institutions’ impact on society, evaluating their performance on the 17 SDG. The SDG – which include providing inclusive and equitable quality education, achieving gender equality and fostering innovation – were adopted by the U.N. in 2016 and provide a framework for developing the world in a sustainable way.
Texas State's result is based on its performance on SDG 17 - Partnership for the Goals, and the seven SDGs the university scored highest on:
- No Poverty (Texas State ranked 13th)
- Life on Land (Texas State ranked 14th)
- Life Below Water (Texas State ranked 20th)
- Sustainable Cities and Communities (Texas State ranked 27th)
- Clean Water and Sanitation (Texas State ranked 34st)
- Gender Equality (Texas State ranked 54th)
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (Texas State ranked 87th)
Texas State scores in the remaining SDG categories considered in the University Impact Rankings are:
- Partnership for the Goals (ranked 101-200)
- Quality Education (ranked 201-300)
- Affordable and Clean Energy (201-300)
- Good Health and Well-being (301-400)
- Decent Work and Economic Growth (301-400)
The University Impact Rankings metrics were developed in partnership with Vertigo Ventures and Elsevier. For more information on the ranking methodology, visit www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/impact-rankings-2021-methodology.
The University Impact Rankings list is led by the United Kingdom's University of Manchester, with the University of Sydney, Australia, second and RMIT University, Australia, third.
For the complete rankings, visit www.timeshighereducation.com/impactrankings.