Summerfest hopes for best, plans for rain
Posted by Jayme Blaschke
University News Service
June 28, 2007
“There is nothing that we would like more than seeing lots of sunshine and a ‘no rain’ forecast on the horizon for next Wednesday’s Summerfest 2007, but in case the rain continues, we do have a plan so there will be no overall cancellation,” says veteran San Marcos Summerfest Steering Committee member Pat Murdock.
The Summerfest Steering Committee will make a decision by Tuesday evening, July 3, Murdock said. And there will be no mid-day moves. If weather forecasts predict rain on July 4th, the alternate weather plan will be implemented.
The rain plan is as follows:
· All entertainment, the patriotic program and the children’s parade will be moved to the City Park Recreation Building and will go on as scheduled, with one modification. The last band will be moved up an hour in the schedule.
· As many vendors as can be accommodated will be set up at the City Park Recreation Building overhang.
· The Lions Club’s Illuminated River Parade will most likely be cancelled.
· The Hays County Crime Stoppers’ Ducky Derby, slated for 7 p.m., will go on as scheduled, if weather conditions permit. If hazardous weather or stream conditions exist, the event will be postponed to a later date.
· The fireworks exhibition could go on as scheduled if it is not raining at 9:30 p.m. but two rain dates have been set: Thursday, July 5 and Saturday, July 7.
“The fireworks exhibition is really dependent upon rainfall at the time of the show and it’s pretty complicated,” points out Jimmy Johnson who is serving his third year as Summerfest General Chairman. “That is why we have two rain dates and an alternate firing location. We will be in close contact with the fireworks company before they leave the Fort Worth area, in order to make the best decision possible,” Johnson said
“And we will get the word out as fast and efficiently as we can,” Johnson added.
To keep up with Summerfest 2007, check the much improved event website at summerfestsanmarcos.com.